Friday, June 24, 2011

Remain in Me


Remain in Me


Thank you for staying with me, Lord Jesus. If I had to remain in you by my force alone, I would soon betray your presence. You tenderly implanted me into yourself through the mystery of Baptism. How often I broke my oneness with you and hindered its unfolding. But you constantly restored the loving union that was lost. You attracted me;you permeated me with the sweet scent of your presence. I beg you, Lord Jesus, let your silent presence in me be a power of self-formation.


hear you whisper in my soul: Remain in me, then I will remain in you. Your loyalty to me, my Lord, can never be questioned. You are fidelity itself. You loved me and pruned me before I could love you. Your acceptance of me is not hemmed in by impossible conditions. You are all for me even when I am against you. You cherish me no matter how I feel or am. It is only I who can be unfaithful to you. Therefore you have to ask me:"Remain in me." You assure me once and for all:"Then I will remain in you." 


How direct and simple is the promise of your presence. You don't tell me that it is anything out of the ordinary. It is not a question of elated experiences. They may or may not accompany your presence in me. Your presence is not only for people more exalted than I, people unusually graced and gifted. It is also for me, a simple believer in your daily love and care.

To remain in you is not a feat of feeling or perfection. To remain in you is to believe in you, to surrender to you in faith, hope and love. 

When I ask to remain in you, I ask for a special dimension of the grace of faith, the dimension of faith that is fidelity. 

Please, Lord, let faith and fidelity abound in me; let them fill the empty spaces of my life!


~Practicing the Prayer of Presence S.Muto & A.Kaam

No comments:

Post a Comment